Taipei is the capital city of Taiwan. It is a modern metropolis full of busy shopping streets and modern buildings. The skyline is characterized by the 509m tall Taipei 101 skyscraper which offers unique shops at the base and a fast elevator that shoots up to the observation deck. There are many night markets with great food and terrific shopping.
With all that’s going on in Taipei, you can bet that it will be tons of fun during Christmas. Here are some things you won’t want to miss out on.
Check Out Christmasland
Every year, pretty much the entire Banqiao District of the city transforms into Christmasland with massive trees, rides, concerts and markets. A different theme is chosen for each annual event with the most recent being “Disney Fairytales”.
A key element is the 3D projection mapping light show, also known as the biggest light show in Taiwan. The show depicts thematic characters in various states of adventure and links with the LED lights throughout the area to provide a 360 light and sound experience.
There are also surrounding areas that feature limited edition light installations representing the current theme as well as pop up shops selling seasonal thematic items.
The footbridges around City Hall turn into light bridges making for magical paths people can walk through. Be sure to take a camera to capture the experience.
Head to the Xinyi Shopping District
The Xinyi Shopping District is another destination that gets decked out for the holidays. It’s a great place to stroll through, enjoy a bite to eat, window shop and check out the local buskers. You can also stop at the cinema to check out one of the holiday classics that is sure to be showing for the holiday season.
The city government has been known to host a Christmas market in the center that can hold its own against the one in the Banqiao district.
Have a Terrific Christmas Dinner
There are many hotels and restaurants in the Taipei area that serve amazing Christmas dinners. The Grand Hyatt is the most well-known, and perhaps the most expensive. If you have your heart set on a Grand Hyatt Christmas dinner, be sure to book well in advance.
Another option is to get an imported smoked turkey from Thomas Meat…that is, if you have a kitchenette in your hotel room where you can prepare it.
Go Out to Celebrate
There are many bars in Taipei that are known for throwing wild Christmas celebrations. Carnegie’s, Brass Monkey and On Tap are just a few that are worthy of mention. Be sure to check the internet to find out what’s going on in the area you will be staying in.
Enjoy the Fireworks on New Year’s Eve
If you’re still in Taipei for New Year’s Eve, head out to the ‘happening areas’ of the city to enjoy the fireworks. Plenty will be going off around Xinyi where decorations will be up to promote a festive spirit well into January.
Taipei 101 hosts a terrific celebration as well. Head up to the observation deck to count down with other revelers while watching fireworks go off all over the city.
There are also plenty of restaurants in the area that will be serving celebratory dinners with champagne toasts.
Stroll Down Ji-Qing Christmas Alley
If you are looking to stroll city streets to check out the decorations, Ji Qing Вёска in the Beitou district is a recommended destination. Ji-Qing Christmas alley was originally a space designated to the San-Ai church, but it has since become the center for holiday celebrations in the city.
Each year a theme is chosen, and all the villagers must decorate their house according to theme. Despite the unifying theme, each home is unique and lovely.
Ji-Qing Christmas alley has been named as Taiwan’s most romantic Christmas attraction so be sure to stroll it on the arm of someone you love.
TaipeiXmas provides a fun way to get your holiday shopping done.
15 department stores, 4 signature shopping districts and several signature stores get together to host stamp collection activities, challenge games and offer discounts and special offers.
Certificates are given to shoppers who spend a specific amount which can then be redeemed for limited edition Christmas gifts. The stores and surrounding neighborhoods are dressed up to reflect the joy of the season.
In addition to the big market in Banqiao, there are several other Christmas markets taking place throughout the city. Here are a few worth checking out.
· Gloriday Blessing Christmas Market: This market has an American mall vibe and features light displays, falling snow, a Fantasy Show and photo opps with Santa and his аленяў.
· International Christmas Bazaar: This market is a great place to find handmade goods including decorations and arts and crafts from local and international artists. Tasty food is available and there are live performance and activities for children.
· European Christmas Market: This is a terrific destination for those looking for European goods. You can also take pictures by Santa’s house, participate in raffle drawings and enjoy cultural performances.
· Branches Art Market: Branches Art Market is the perfect place to find unique gifts, souvenirs and home décor. There are also workshops hosted by local artists where you can go home with an item you crafted yourself. The market attempts to connect the public with creatives in the community.
· German Christmas Market: The German Christmas Market has over 50 booths selling German food, beverages and German brand products. You can also enjoy on-site activities like German beer competitions, football shooting, hand made Christmas cookie making and more.
Taipei is a terrific place to visit on holiday time. It is full of holiday cheer and the spirit of the season. What activities will you be putting on your to-do list during your vacation?