выхад: 1 PIE час падрыхтоўкі: 25 ХВІЛІН час выпякання: 45 ХВІЛІН агульны час: 1 ГАДЗІНА 10 МІНУТ
- 1 double pie crust pastry
- 4.5 to 6 cups (680g) of chopped rhubarb, fresh (if using frozen, measure in cups while the fruit is still frozen)
- 1 лыжка цытрынавага соку
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 ¼ cups (225 g) sugar
- 1 яечны бялок
Oven temperature 400º F (200º C)
Make the Pie Crust
- Prepare the pie crust according to this recipe. Roll out and place in a 9" pie dish. Trim the edges and set aside.
Make the Pie Filling
- Using fresh rhubarb: pour the fresh lemon juice over the fruit and stir well. Add the sugar and cornstarch together then toss with the rhubarb. Pour into the pie crust.
- Using frozen and thawed rhubarb: drain any liquid into a small bowl and put the frozen fruit into a large pot on a burner over medium-high heat.
- Add the sugar to the rhubarb and stir to combine.
- Mix the cornstarch into the reserved liquid and pour into the pot. Stir gently and bring the rhubarb mixture just until it boils and the cornstarch thickens and immediately remove from the heat.
- The only reason for doing this step is to thicken the liquid that comes from the frozen fruit. We're not cooking it for any length of time. You can taste the filling and if it's too sour, add more sugar to taste.
Preheat the oven at this point: 400º F (200º C)
Fill and Seal the Pie Crust
- Add the filling to the pie crust.
- Dampen the edge of the crust and then roll out the top crust and seal the pie and crimp. Alternatively, you can make a lattice top crust. It's truly not difficult, but it will take more time than a normal top crust.
- Brush the top of the pie with egg white. Then cut a slit in the center of the rhubarb pie.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes. If it needs to brown more on top, move to the middle rack for the last 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Serve the Rhubarb Pie
- As noted above, I like to serve the pie with homemade custard.
- Lightly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream are other options.